Silectis helps companies simplify their data analytics. Magpie, our managed data lake platform, provides the security, data integration, and data exploration tools companies need to build an end-to-end advanced, big data analytics capability. Our user-centered tools lets teams get up to speed quickly. Leveraging SQL and a few simple Magpie commands, data engineers can start integrating data from source systems, building data structures, and scheduling data pipelines right away.
As a Data Engineer at Silectis, you will work with our customer-facing team to collaboratively craft practical solutions to real-world data problems using Magpie. We have a wide variety of clients from multiple disciplines across various industries, all with unique needs. You will act as the voice of the customer and collaborate with our platform engineering team to identify opportunities to improve Magpie and create new and enhanced capabilities to meet customer needs.
This is a full-time position based out of our office in the Shaw neighborhood of Washington, DC, but we are all currently remote as we monitor the COVID-19 situation.
- You want to solve data management problems at scale with a focus on providing customers with a sound foundation for analytics and the ability to generate insights from their data.
- You are able to assess available data sources within a client environment, dive in and understand the structure and content of the data, and rapidly begin piecing together the elements needed to deliver value.
- You can take an analytics environment from an early prototype into a solid set of core data structures and repeatable ETL (Extract, Transform, and Load) processes.
- You have a strong understanding of the fundamentals of software design, algorithms, and data structures, complimented by a keen interest in expanding your skills and helping others do the same.
- You are comfortable doing a wide variety of work, especially early on as we are building the team. This could include working on a specific customer solution, working on our core platform, or building infrastructure and automation to make the team more efficient.
- As one of the early members of the team and you will have the opportunity to help shape the organization.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 2 to 6 years of experience in a software engineering or data engineering role
- Experience designing and building databases for high-performance analytics and/or developing ETL processes for data integration
- Rock-solid SQL and relational database skills across a range of platforms including PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQL Server and/or NoSQL databases like MongoDB or Cassandra
- Experience working in Linux and the ability to do scripting in a mainstream language like Bash, Python, or Ruby
- Experience working with cloud services such as Amazon Web Services, Azure, or Google Cloud Platform and the ability to do some light admin (e.g., spin up instances, script against the CLI)
Additional Skills (preferred but not required)
- Background in Spark or other large-scale data processing frameworks (MapReduce, Flink, etc.)
- Experience with column-oriented analytics databases like Amazon Redshift
- Experience with Scala
- Experience with ETL tools like Talend or Pentaho
First and foremost, Silectis is geared toward building out a dedicated, sharp, and inquisitive team with unique experiences and diverse backgrounds, who want to build a great engineering organization and a great company. So, even if you don’t meet all the qualifications listed above, or if you know there are areas where you will need to come up to speed, we would encourage you to apply.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org including a brief intro and your resume. We look forward to hearing from you!