Silectis helps companies simplify data engineering. Magpie, our managed data lake platform, provides the security, data integration, and data exploration tools companies need to build an end-to-end advanced, big data analytics capability. Our user-centered tools lets teams get up to speed quickly. Leveraging SQL and a few simple Magpie commands, data engineers can start integrating data from source systems, building data structures, and scheduling data pipelines right away.
About the Role
As a full-stack platform engineer at Silectis, you will work on our core data integration and analytics platform, Magpie. You will have the opportunity to contribute to all aspects of the platform, from the backend engine and API to the frontend user interface. You will also collaborate with your customer-facing team members to identify opportunities to improve the Magpie platform and build out new capabilities to meet customer needs.
Technical Info: Most of our development work is in Scala, but if your experience is in another language, and you are interested in learning, this is a great opportunity. A good grasp of the fundamentals of functional programming would be helpful, but practical experience is not necessary.
This is a full-time position, based in our office in the Shaw neighborhood of Washington, DC, but we are all currently remote as we monitor the COVID-19 situation
- You want to work on intellectually demanding problems.
- You should be eager to work in a collaborative, team environment, and participate in the full lifecycle of building a product or feature, including architecture, design, development and testing.
- You should be excited about doing a wide variety of work, especially early on as we are building the team. This could include working on Magpie, working on a specific customer solution, or building infrastructure and automation to make the team more efficient.
- You should have a strong understanding of the fundamentals of software design, algorithms, and data structures, and a keen interest in expanding your skills and helping others do the same.
- As one of the early members of the team, you will have the opportunity to help shape the organization.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 2 to 6 years of experience in a software engineering role
- Experience building either analytical applications focused on data processing, or enterprise web applications.
- Good relational database/SQL skills
- Some experience working in Linux and the ability to do scripting in a mainstream language like Bash, Python, or Ruby
- Experience in the AWS environment and the ability to do some light admin (e.g., spin up instances, script against the CLI)
Additional Skills (nice-to-haves)
- Background in Spark or other large-scale data processing frameworks (MapReduce, Flink, etc.)
- Experience programming in Scala or another functional language
- Experience designing databases for high performance analytics
- Familiarity with the basics of AI and machine learning and/or experience working with data science teams to implement models
First and foremost, Silectis is geared toward building out a dedicated, sharp, and inquisitive team with unique experiences and diverse backgrounds. mates who want to build a great engineering organization and a great company. So, even if you don’t meet all the qualifications listed above, or if you know there are areas where you will need to come up to speed, we would encourage you to reach out to us.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief intro and your resume. We look forward to hearing from you!